Saturday 5 October 2013

Grain–and not in a field this time

Just realised I’ve not completed exercise 41 which is about adding grain. I did rather a lot of this in People ands Place – especially my Maryport assignment – and as a technique I’ve basically put it on the back burner.  It can certainly add a certain rough edge to an image, but – its not a technique I’ve felt I needed throughout the course.

Whatever – I thought I’d see if I could do something different with it and came up with this:

E8304434.jpg

The original shot was taken at night – and to get this effect I pushed the exposure and recovered the highlights, massively increased the contrast, oversharpened it and then added extra grain from the Lightroom grain sliders.

The end result is quite Impressionistic – and has a certain dream/nightmare quality to it – but without an obvious reason for doing this beyond the exercise I’m afraid it just feels like a special effect. That said – it’s good to play sometimes – if only because you don’t know what it might inspire further down the road, so I’ll preserve it here in that context. Given it was taken in Ibiza, it might have found a home as a technique for photographing round the clubs. Another time then.

No comments:

Post a Comment