Monday 29 July 2013

Answering my own question

I found myself musing about the attraction of Martin Parr in this post which I wrote after the visit to Look13 in Liverpool earlier this year. While I’ve not had a chance to go away and have a really good look at his work, I think I may have talked myself part way to the answer in response to a post ion the student forums, where I observed that we shouldn’t look at individual photos, but at the totality of the body of work.

No more to it than that I’m afraid – I will have to reserve judgement until I’ve seen more of his stuff, but from what I know of it so far I suspect the whole is significantly greater than the sum of its parts, and certainly more than the relatively small subset of those parts I’ve seen to date. I’m doing Documentary next – so no excuse not to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment