Thursday 14 March 2013

And the chosen photographer is…

…somewhat predictably perhaps – Naoya Hatakeyama – for a number of reasons.

  • First and foremost I like his use of the sublime, it’s not something I’ve really had a chance to investigate and I think that in choosing I need to have an eye to Assignment 5.
  • Next up is the rather detached, investigative approach he adopts. I’m not really a campaigner – intellectuals with big expensive cameras complaining about environmental impact always seem a little hypocritical to me – I’m more of an investigator.
  • I’m intrigued by his take man–nature interactions and the way he establishes links between the things we build and the things we inevitably have to destroy in the process.
  • Last, but definitely not least, the idea of investigating someone slightly less well-known appeals.

So all I need now is another 2000 words. Eeek!!

No comments:

Post a Comment